***2017 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR AUDIOBOOK PRODUCTION CONSIDERATION***

This year we are seeking to produce and publish audiobooks based on works in a variety of genres. We will be accepting submissions for consideration of short stories (20k or less), novellas (20k - 40k), and full-length novels (40k up to 90k). We will be publishing 40 to 50 audiobooks this year. Multiple submissions are acceptable. Series books are acceptable. Read below for important information.

 

Have you published a novel--either through self publishing or through a traditional publisher--and still control the audio rights? Are you interested in seeing your novel get an audio edition? If so, we can help you out using Amazon's ACX and Audible platforms. 

***FULL DISCLOSURE***

Producing an audiobook from your work isn't as difficult as you might think, particularly when utilizing the ACX platform. And you can do so with no out-of-pocket expense when you choose to accept a royalty split deal with a narrator, which is what we at AAP will be doing (***see below for an alternative option***). The process of audio narration is time consuming and this is, we believe, why many choose not to exercise their audio rights and produce audiobooks of their works. You can do this on your own and earn a higher royalty rate than you would if you allow us to do it for you. That's the simple truth. 

If you'd rather let us handle the process for you, we would be glad to. Under the current royalty structure at Audible, they take a 60% cut of the sale price of each audiobook. That leaves 40% which is then split between the narrator and the audio rights holder (20% for each party). The publisher's take is then split with the author 50/50. So you, the author, end up earning a 10% royalty as opposed to a 20% royalty if you were to invest the time to work with a narrator on your own. You also have to take into consideration that Audible/ACX require a 7 year contract which in turn means that we will ask for an 8 year contract (since it can take anywhere from a few weeks to months to produce a quality audiobook). Amazon/Audible also set the retail price of the audiobook and we as the publisher have no control over that whatsoever. The audiobook will be available for purchase via Amazon, Audible, and iTunes.

If after the full disclosure here you are still interested in working with us to see your work get an audio edition, please email us at editor@apparatuspress.com with the Amazon link to your book so that we may evaluate whether it would be a good candidate for us or not. If we think it's something we can work with to create an outstanding audio edition, we will offer you a contract. You have the option of receiving a small advance ($25 or less, depending on length of work) or forgoing the advance and receiving royalties from day one of sales. We generally pay advances in the third week of the month; if you choose to forgo an advance you'll be offered a contract immediately.

***Alternative option for audiobook production with AAP***

Since we've had a number of inquiries regarding this option, we've decided to include it here for those who may be interested. If you would rather not work with a royalty split deal but instead pay a narrator a per-finished-hour rate, we can also do that. Doing this raises your royalty rate from 10% to 35% (since the narrator isn't working on the royalty split deal, their 20% comes to you). We at AAP will cut our royalty percentage from 10% to 5% so that you earn a bit more for going out of pocket.

The per-finished-hour (PFH) rate would be $250 - $300, depending upon the length of the work (6 hours or below = $250PFH; 7 to 10 hours = $275PFH; 11 to 15 hours = $300PFH; longer than 15 hours requires consultation). You can determine the length of an audiobook by dividing the total word count of your manuscript by 9,300 (this is the number of words per hour Amazon/ACX have determined a narrator should be able to read). For example, if your manuscript is 70k, you divide that by 9,300 and determine that your audiobook would be just about 7.5 hours long and would cost $2,062.50. 

If you have questions about either option available for audiobook production through AAP, please email us at editor@apparatuspress.com.

Here are a few samples of the audiobooks we've published. Links to the books on Amazon are included below each sound sample.

RETAIL SAMPLES PLAYLIST